Lumina Corps is seeking a proofreader and experienced document remediation specialist to support high profile federal government clients with science and health writing. Ideal candidates will have knowledge and experience with Section 508 compliance regulations and tools and HHS Section 508 Accessibility checklists. This position requires experience using style guides to ensure scientific and public health content and materials are grammatically correct and error-free. Applicants must be detail orientated and have excellent skills in oral and written communication.
At Lumina Corps, we believe that strategic, purposeful communications and research can inspire learning and action and bring about positive change in our world. We partner with agencies and organizations whose missions inspire us through their service to progress in health, science, and well-being.
What You'll Do:
- Work as part of a team of science writers, communication strategists, project managers, and other specialists to proofread and remediate content and written deliverables that contribute to the advancement of scientific progress at our clients’ agencies.
- Proofread a variety of document types for spelling, grammar, punctuation, language usage, and consistency.
- Assist with development and maintenance of style guides, including client- and project-specific style guides.
- Review and update document formatting to ensure consistent layout.
- Apply knowledge of Section 508 compliance requirements to prepare documents and digital materials for posting on public federal websites.
- Review and remediate PowerPoint, Word, and PDF documents to ensure they are Section 508 compliant, including remediating documents for accessibility-related design issues such as color contrast or use of color.
- Advise on best practices for other digital materials, such as video and social media, and work with project team to identify accessibility solutions for these materials.
- Collaborate with coworkers in finding solutions to technical problems.
Ideal Candidates Will Have:
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience writing in the context of federal science programs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines and be organized when contributing to several projects at once
- Keen attention to detail and expertise in managing timelines
- Organization skills, and readiness to take initiative
- Critical thinking skills, with an ability to quickly discern issues and troubleshoot
- Positive, solutions-oriented, customer-service mindset, able to be flexible to take on large or small tasks as needs arise in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of project management software, with knowledge of Asana as a plus
- Familiarity with common style and usage guides (e.g., AP Stylebook)
- Detailed and advanced knowledge of Section 508 requirements and advanced skills with software to manage remediation tasks
- Advanced MS Office application skills: Outlook, Word, Excel, Sharepoint
This full-time position with benefits; hybrid and fully remote schedules are permitted. Lumina Corps headquarters is located in Silver Spring, Maryland; remote candidates will be considered.
Lumina Corps is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.